Friday, February 19, 2010

The bug jar

You just never know what God's going to give you to pass the time. I've said before that Sam's favorite "toy" was probably a big cardboard box we called the "spaceship."

Tonight's entertainment was a potato bug which somehow found its way into our living room on a dark winter's evening.

Sam didn't want me to kill it, so I put it in a little glass bowl. I added a grape in case it wanted the feast of its life. It crawled around exploring its new world. Didn't show much interest in the grape, but we enjoyed the show of watching it moved its antennae around, "praying," as Sam said.

I don't mean to say we aren't having a good time--we are--but let's say we are both looking forward to Susan's return! Had a quiet couple of days. Play date yesterday afternoon, and this afternoon a quick trip to the Brighton library before groceries, and home to the lasagna Susan pre-made for us. Right now Sam's been down for a couple of hours, and I am trying not to let himself stay up late watching The Hurt Locker.

Sam impressed me in two little ways today, if that's not a contradiction in terms. First, when Menselssohn's famous violin concerto came on the radio he said to me, halfway through, "Daddy, that sounds like your cell phone!" For those who don't know, that happens to be my ring tone. Kid has an ear! Also has directional sense, as he seems to have quite a good idea of how to get from here to the library, a few miles away.

That's all I got. Must sleep to save up my energy for the nocturnal interruptions, and for pancakes in the morning. Or waffles! Definitely waffles.


p.s.--I hope potato bugs can handle 20-deg temperatures and snow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you really toss the potato bug out into the snow? You didn't even leave it in the basement to breave the spiders and other bugs in the warmth at least?
And I thought I was merciless. Sheesh.
l,aa

Tim said...

I figure, if he didn't have a plan lined up for the winter, he should have moved to Tennessee! (It's my own version of an Aesop's fable.)